TITLE: Discovery Cell Biologist
LOCATION: Cambridge, UK
SALARY: Competitive salary and benefits package, relative to qualifications and experience
Amphista Therapeutics is a fast-growing biotech and the leading Europe-based Targeted Protein Degradation (TPD) company. Initially founded from the laboratory of Professor Alessio Ciulli (University of Dundee) our team comprises both academic and drug discovery pioneers of the TPD field and a growing R&D team focused on advancing a portfolio of medicines to the clinic using our proprietary next generation TPD technologies. We recently completed an oversubscribed $53M funding round to allow us to advance our portfolio of projects towards the clinic and greatly strengthen the development of our underlying scientific platform.
Amphista’s approaches use completely novel mechanisms to build on all the advantages of TPD while directly addressing the emerging limitations of existing TPD strategies to expand the utility of the field. In particular, we have shown our approach has the potential to be superior to all other TPD approaches (PROTACs, molecular glues etc) through our unique novel mechanisms giving expanded scope, improved druglike properties and reduced tumour resistance potential. We have a range of projects in the discovery phase, initially focused on oncology with potential to expand into other therapy areas including CNS disease & immunology. Amphista R&D is based in our twin research hubs in BioCity Glasgow, and Cambridge, UK from where we also work with a wide range of global collaborators and CROs.
We are seeking an experienced, creative and highly motivated cell biologist to join our multi-disciplinary, collaborative team based in our new research centre in Cambridge, UK. In this role, you will oversee and personally contribute to a wide range of areas related to characterising the in vitro and in vivo profiles of lead molecules from across our drug discovery portfolio. Working within project and functional teams, this role will support target validation, lead optimisation and preclinical development of Amphista’s therapeutic portfolio and your contributions will directly contribute to the success of the R&D strategy. You will use your experience of working within a drug discovery environment to design project strategies, experimental plans and ensure prioritisation and timely generation, analysis & sharing of key data. This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast growing and dynamic company operating at the cutting edge of protein degradation to develop first-in-class medicines to treat cancer and other areas of high unmet medical need.
Roles and responsibilities include:
- Developing relevant, novel and innovative cell-based and biochemical assays to address project challenges and support drug discovery projects in the area of oncology as well as
- Applying these assays to screen and profile cellular activity of novel compounds and to interrogate target biology/disease relevant mechanisms
- Contributing to discussions and work on target selection and project planning.
- Culturing human cell lines and using modern technologies to generate new cell lines.
- Critically analyse project data and contribute ideas that will drive projects forward.
- Work in an interdisciplinary team to support research strategies and project goals.
- Working with external collaborators including CROs and academic leaders to seek input and generate project data to answer specific questions.
- Participate in building out the research capabilities of the Biology group.
- Presenting and communicating plans and results internally and, when needed, externally.
- D in Biology, Pharmacology, Cell biology or a related discipline or a BSc/MSc degree with significant relevant experience of leading projects to successful milestones and conclusions.
- Deep knowledge of mechanisms of disease biology in oncology, immunology and/or CNS disease.
- Experience working as part of multi-disciplinary teams in a drug discovery setting in eg the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry.
- Evidence of significant scientific productivity and impact through your own personal contributions
- Strong experience in molecular and cellular biology techniques applied to the development of physiologically-relevant cellular assays applied to target validation, compound characterisation and screening.
- A practical understanding of a wide range of cellular assay methods and technologies, including mass spectrometry, fluorescence and luminescence
- Expertise in cloning, stable cell line generation, gene expression knockdown
- Outstanding track record evidenced by publication and presentation record
- Demonstrated excellence in independently planning and executing experiments as well as critical data analysis skills.
- Strong interpersonal communication and effective team working with a ‘can-do’ approach to problem solving.
- Excellent organisational and self-motivational skills, with track record of prioritising work and keeping to deadlines
Experience in the following areas would be preferred but not essential:
- Familiarity with biology of ubiquitin-proteasome system or previous experience characterising Targeted Protein Degradation-based agents.
- Familiarity with bioinformatic analyses of genetic, transcriptomic or proteomic datasets
- Experience in design, expression and purification of biophysics-grade recombinant protein and use in range of biophysical assays
Applicants should submit a CV and covering letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference cellbiol0421