TITLE: Synthetic Chemist
LOCATION: BioCity, Newhouse, ML1 5UH, UK
SALARY: Competitive salary and benefits package, relative to qualifications and experience
Amphista Therapeutics is a fast-growing biotech and the leading Europe-based Targeted Protein Degradation (TPD) company. Initially founded from the laboratory of Professor Alessio Ciulli (University of Dundee) our team comprises both academic and drug discovery pioneers of the TPD field and a growing R&D team focused on advancing a portfolio of medicines using our proprietary next generation TPD technologies. We recently completed an oversubscribed $53M funding round to allow us to progress our portfolio and greatly strengthen the development of our underlying scientific platform.
Amphista’s approaches use completely novel mechanisms to build on all the advantages of TPD while directly addressing the emerging limitations of existing TPD strategies to expand the utility of the field. In particular, we have shown our approach has the potential to be superior to all other TPD approaches (PROTACs, molecular glues etc) through our unique novel mechanisms giving expanded scope, improved druglike properties and reduced tumour resistance potential. We have a range of projects in the discovery phase, initially focused on oncology with potential to expand into other therapy areas including CNS disease & immunology. Amphista R&D is based in our twin research hubs in BioCity Glasgow, and Cambridge, UK from where we also work with a wide range of global collaborators and CROs.
We are seeking an experienced, creative and highly motivated Synthetic Chemist to join our multi-disciplinary, collaborative team based in our BioCity hub. You’ll work closely with experienced medicinal chemists and other drug discovery scientists, allowing you to learn new skills while contributing to projects critical to Amphista’s R&D strategy. In this role, you will be a key member of project teams where you’ll design and synthesise molecules and interpret datasets on a range of our projects at hit identification, hit-to-lead & lead optimisation phases through your own personal lab-based contributions as well as working with external CRO partners.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast growing and dynamic company operating at the cutting edge of protein degradation-based drug discovery to develop first-in-class medicines to treat cancer and other areas of high unmet medical need.
- Design and execution of complex synthetic routes both through personal lab-based contributions and through CRO collaborators
- Design and optimization of novel protein degraders to clinical candidates.
- Contributing to the success of one or more projects as a key protect team member working closely with colleagues from biology, drug metabolism and other groups.
- Critically analyse project data and contribute ideas that will drive projects forward.
- Support the continuing development of Amphista’s protein degradation capabilities.
- Maintaining an up to date literature knowledge of synthetic, medicinal and protein degradation chemistry.
- Present your work within project teams & wider company, cross-site meetings with the potential to also present to external audiences.
- Maintaining electronic lab notebook records and contributing to drafting of patent applications when appropriate.
- PhD in a chemical science related discipline or equivalent experience with experience of working in a drug discovery project setting
- Outstanding knowledge of contemporary synthetic methods as applied to the synthesis of bioactive molecules
- Track record of successfully working in multidisciplinary settings and in a collaborative manner
- Proven expertise in route design and in carrying out challenging multistep synthetic organic chemistry to successfully deliver challenging synthetic targets including troubleshooting to overcome synthetic issues
- Strong interpersonal & communication skills and effective team working
- Proven track record of delivery from your own experimental work
- Must be fun to work with
In addition, it would be desirable that the successful candidate has:
- Understanding and appreciation of the drug discovery and development process gained in a Pharma or Biotech setting in eg oncology, inflammation or neurology.
Applicants should submit a CV and covering letter by email quoting ref synthchem0721 to firstname.lastname@example.org